There is a small town in New Mexico (or Nuevo Mèxico if you will) that has carried the name Truth or Consequences for a good half century. I went there two weeks or so ago, and was pretty bummed to find only a small strip of commercialized real estate for such a bold name.
What am I up to?
I am not so sure. Its kinda like beginning an etch in wax; the ink finding little spots to burrow. I belong nowhere but also stand in this liminal space where I can move to where I wish.
Italy is like a completely different life I live in some corner. I get a phone call and some part of my brain that sits dormant comes to life and seems to be completely caught up with my life over there. I know who is at school and who is at work. It is like nothing moves but everything does.
What does an hour mean? It means different things. Sometimes it feels like a blink has the duration of an hour. An hour can be a second. The thought of every event occurring at every second can be a weight unbearable.
I often think about how many adjustments are occurring within my body. Even within the framework of my skull. I can't quantify those things.
Is a hundred years to live a long time? Its a fraction of a cosmic second. Is It long enough for us to forget and thats all that matters? We forget so much. I tried to think back to where I was 1 year ago at this hour, and what I was doing, but it is nearly impossible to recall. If I could remember everything from everyday how would my reality be shaped?
I thought about this in connection to the cataloging of photographs. Photographs are a memory in a certain way. My camera's memory of what occurs. If I didn't throw away a good percentage of the pictures I took I would be swamped with photographs that don't hold any significance to me, and looking back into the catalog would not be productive.
We have to throw away things, including memories.
Are we really going forward in human progression? Maybe it is circular. We could have forgotten where we started.
Its a thought but I would discredit the idea.
Ohhh the progression of humanity.
I need a friend like Ryan Sheckler
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment